10.04.2011

Gooooal! The Importance of Goal Setting


Almost every decision to start a new fitness routine begins with a goal.  "I want to lose 10 pounds", "I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks and it's a nude resort", "My husband left me for the babysitter I need to look hot", "I wanna be able to touch my toes.", "I wanna see my toes!".   I've heard every single one of those ...not really- yes I have...not yet! 

Goals are a necessary component to your training and everyone should make them.  

First, we should define three types of goals: Outcome Goals, Behavioral Goals, and Performance Goals.


Outcome Goal: All of the above statements would fall into this category.  Blanket statements like "I want to lose 10 pounds" , things you expect out of your training are Outcome Goals.  

Behavioral Goals: This is exactly how you will achieve your Outcome Goal by using things you can control.  What are you going to do about attaining your goal?  Joining a gym, hiring a personal trainer, borrowing your sisters P90x DVD's....still not good enough.  You need specifics here.  "I'm going to the gym 4 days per week and I'm going to do this, this and that while I"m there", "I'm committing X amount of dollars to hire a trainer to get me on track", "I will no longer drink coke or any other soda- that includes rum and coke!", Changing your diet, etc, etc.

Performance Goals: This is were a Fitness Professional comes in handy.  Setting performance goals is something that a lot of people overlook, especially women.  Tracking your progress in terms of strength and endurance can play a huge role in adherence to your program and motivate you into longer term goals.  

Setting S.M.A.R.T Goals is the best way to get you started.  S.M.A.R.T. is an acronym that describes the various attributes a goal should have to ensure maximum probability of success. The actual adjectives that the acronym stands for differs depending on the circumstances.

S- Specific [What are your goals? Use the 3 types of Goals]
M- Measurable [Set bench marks, track your progress]
A- Attainable [Do not set yourself up for failure folks!]
R- Realistic [Check your methods..."I will run everyday for 2hrs", "Imma starve myself"]
T- Trackable [Set a timetable and stick to it]

Now, this is the big part.  You actually have to get all your goals down.  Write them down on paper, on your computer, in your smartphone, doesn't matter just get them down.  Using white boards is a great tip I received from a friend.  He uses 3 different size white boards not only for goals but for things he needs to get done.  Large board is for long term goals/ big dreams/ less urgent matters, mid sized board for medium size goals [what?], and small board for short terms goals, things that need to get done pronto.  

Lastly, you absolutely have to share your goals.  This is probably the most crucial part.  If all you do is write the goals down and no one but you sees them, the odds are very good that many of those goals will not be reached.  Telling someone you trust will keep you on track and make you accountable.

Now go and set some S.M.A.R.T Goals, write them down and then share them with a friend, or me!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Human Trainer Essential Kit